OUAT is envisioned to be a globally recognised and locally relevant Premier Farm University in India providing leading-edge education, research, extension and outreach in agriculture and allied sciences that are life-enhancing, socially sensitive, environmentally responsible and economically beneficial in the current and emerging scenario of socio-economic-climatic-technological changes in India and globe. It will serve the state for providing template of sustainable agricultural development that would transform agriculture sector into the engine of growth of Odisha’s economy and provide livelihood security of farming community. The vision statement is paraphrased as follows.
- To get national and global recognition, the university will strive to build up its development model, which will be innovative, adaptable and scaled up so as to inspire other national farm universities to measure themselves and emulate.
- Leading-edge education with life-enhancing programmes will produce graduates, who will be adaptable humane citizens and innovative, contributing and motivated force to serve the state and the nation by advancing, sharing and applying knowledge and skill.
- Sustainable development of green, blue and white revolution in the state
- In the context of the emerging scenario of socio-economic-climatic-technological changes in India and globe, the technology will be socially sensitive, environmentally responsible, and economically beneficial.
- To meet the local problems and diversity in socio-economic ethnicity, the programme and policies will be prioritised with special drive on backward areas and the tribal agriculture.
- To improve the share of agriculture in Odisha’s economy, it will provide leadership in sharpening the competitive edge of the state agriculture through a package of appropriate strategies, public policies and programmes, technology services and investment support.
MISSION : Activities accelerating upward trajectory of the University
OUATians have aspiration to greatly improve university activities producing skilled human resources including high caliber graduates with knowledge and expertise, develop relevant technology and provide appropriate services to the farming community, the pathway of which has to run through the plan characterised by desire to consolidate our strengths, to integrate further our research, educational and extension activities, to optimise our infrastructure and accelerate our success. It requires reorientation and restructuring the programmes. The activities are to be built up together by the staff and students in every part of the University to ensure continuance of the journey with great vigour, centering around the original commitment.
Using tools developed over millennia, farming communities in Odisha have developed resilient agricultural systems, well adapted to social and environmental conditions unique to their locations. However, conditions have changed and are changing rapidly. To cope these changes, agricultural scientists and specialists have to partner with the farming community in the effort to meet the market needs of food, feed, fiber and fuel. This can be achieved by addressing contemporary agricultural problems with the most advanced scientific capabilities, while respecting earlier contributions of agriculturalists and traditional approaches to agriculture.
Uphold the values of academic freedom and creativity, and respect the rights of farmers and consumers to decide which technologies are most appropriate.
- Assisting production to consumption. Assist all members and sectors of Odisha’s food and agricultural system to reach their full potential in an environmentally and socially compatible and economically profitable way.
- Developing human and farming community potential. The ultimate goal is to improve the quality of life including socioeconomic status, self-esteem, health and leadership abilities. OUAT's programs will examine how present and future research, education and policy in agriculture and natural resources affect individuals and their communities. Accordingly, it is to be dedicated to providing educational opportunities and science-based information to the farmers and other stakeholders to meet the challenges of the new millennium.
- Enhancing sustainable use of agricultural resources. Food, feed, fuel and fiber generation depend on the efficient and sustained use of soil, water, air and solar radiation. The university will seek to improve the management and conservation of agricultural and natural resources that affect human welfare.
- Developing food and other bio-based products for value-addition and new uses. The university programs will orient how technology is used to increase the market value of food, feed, fuel and fibre products.
- Expandthe science, technology, engineering and practical application, while optimizing the use of water, energy, labour, land and other resources
- Students to solve real world challenges, and provide experiential learning in an interdisciplinary setting with global impacts. They are to discover and acquire new knowledge through integration of research and scholarly endeavours.
- Reorient and restructure the academic programmes. Graduate education would focus on strengthening professionalism and entrepreneurship; and post graduate education would conduct research and provide consultancy and extension services relevant to current and emerging socio economic needs.
- Be totally student-centric and cater to the overall growth and development of our students intellect and personality. Our alumni should be worthy citizens and highly sought after professionals.
- R & D in integrating emerging areas of cutting edge technology such as space science, computing science, biotechnology, ICT for natural resource management, environment, climate services, IPR and biodiversity.
- A shift to comparative advantage of the state on specific commodities for interstate market, WTO and global trade instead of limiting to local and domestic market.
- Resolve plant production challenges such as harsh conditions of drought and flood. Strategic research for climate resilient agriculture.
- Create new technology to enhance productivity and improve resource use efficiency. ensuring livelihood security.
- Create business opportunity, utilizing technology.
- System approach to technology generation systems rather than specific commodities and focus on Integrated Farming Systems.
- Emphasis on product conversion and value addition rather than ending in production alone.
- Technology as an economically, environmentally and socially sustainable agricultural option.
- Refining location specific efficient production systems based on Agroclimatic suitability
- Training for entrepreneurship beyond the production process rather than adding skills.
EXTENSION AND OUTREACH MISSION
- Ensure that extension services are responsive to farmers needs and academics value the importance and role of services
- Strive to disseminate new knowledge, scientific information and innovations through formal and non-formal educational programs to students, growers, faculty, governments, non-governmental organizations, financiers and industries..
- Create and adapt crop selection and production tools for small farmers, undeveloped regions, and highly specialized situations, in order to help grower operations.
- Define the parameters of Simplified/Moderate/High technology.
- Focus on group approach
- Support services to be rendered by the single window.
- Communicate our successes
- Proactive governance be consultative, transparent, efficient, inclusive and well communicated
- Mutually supportive with equal working environment in which all staff feel their needs are recognised, valued and rewarded
- Decentralisation that collocates decision making, financial control, administration and accountability
- Increased financial health
- Address and improve resources for staff support. The financial resources for office
and technical staff support are currently substantially below the effective and
desirable level. Revenues have to be generated to improve the situation.
- A major need is a new position in each college to handle student related affairs including graduate admissions, student records, and student recruiting at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Increase the profile of OUAT programs within the state and around the world based on metrics of success.
- Increase multi-disciplinary efforts/projects at the University level
- Collaboratelocally, nationally and internationally, government and non-government agencies to promote and facilitate innovation and creative application of technology. These include IMD, IITs, ICAR research institutes, ISRO and other science/ engineering/governmental organizations
The research activities of the University is monitored by a Directorate of Research situated at the headquarters with location specific need based research conducted through 8 Regional Research and Technology Transfer Stations, 4 Regional Research and Technology Transfer Sub-stations, 7 Commodity Research Stations, 13 Adaptive Research Stations in addition to 53 AICRPs, 69 adhoc Research Projects sponsored by private and public sector undertakings.
The Directorate of Extension Education manages the Extension Education activity of the University through its 31 Krishi Vigyan Kendras spread over 28 districts of the State, Distance Education Programme, University Extension Block Programme, Video Project, Agricultural Technology Information Centre and Odisha Gender Research Centre.